Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Posted on June 2nd 2014
Outstanding Ofsted Harris Primary Free School Peckham
Harris Primary Free School Peckham has been rated Outstanding in its first Ofsted inspection since opening in September 2012.
It was judged to be Outstanding overall and in each individual category inspected by Ofsted: achievement of pupils, quality of teaching, behaviour and safety of pupils, and leadership and management.
The school, which opened next door to Harris Secondary Academy in Peckham, has children in Reception and Year 1. It will continue to grow by a year group at a time until it reaches full capacity in 2018.
Inspectors, who spent two days at there in March 2014, said:
- “Pupils throughout the school learn exceptionally well and make rapid progress. This is because senior leaders have relentlessly and successfully focused on raising pupils’ achievement, particularly in reading, writing and mathematics.”
- “The curriculum is exceptionally well matched to the pupils’ needs.”
- “The behaviour of pupils is outstanding. Pupils look forward to coming to school.”
- “All the parents and carers whose views were expressed…believed that their children were making better than expected progress and achieving well throughout the school.”
- “The (Harris) Federation has been an effective partner in securing outstanding teaching and learning for the pupils.”
The management of the school was also praised as outstanding. Inspectors said that “senior leaders have formed a highly committed staff team, which shares fully their determination to provide pupils with an outstanding learning experience.”
Principal of the Academy, Lindsey Davidson, said:
“Although we have all worked very hard to make our school happy and successful, we never take anything for granted so we are delighted with our ‘Outstanding’ Ofsted rating.
“Each of our children is treated, taught and looked after in the way that suits them best. I would like to express my gratitude to all staff for their hard work and parents for their wonderful support.”
Sir Dan Moynihan, Chief Executive of the Harris Federation, said:
“This is our first Free School to be inspected by Ofsted and we are pleased they have recognised the outstanding education it provides. The school is helping to meet the huge demand for places from local families and, through the talent and hard work of our teachers and support staff, it is providing Peckham children with a great education.”