Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Questions to ask before your child reads a book:
- Why did you select this book?
- What makes you think this book is going to be interesting?
- What do you think the book is going to be about?
- Does this book remind you of anything you've already read or seen?
- What kind of characters do you think will be in the book?
- What do you think is going to happen?
Question examples while your child is reading a book:
- What has happened so far?
- What do you think will happen next?
- How does that character feel about what has happened? How do you know?
- If the main character in that story lived next door, would you be friends?
- If you were that character, what would you have done differently in that situation?
- Where is the book set?
- What does that description mean exactly? Why has the writer chosen those words?
- What does the place look like in your head as you read? Would you want to visit there?
- Did you learn any new words or facts so far?
Questions examples after your child has finished a book:
- What was your favourite part of the book? Why?
- Who was your favourite character? Why?
- What was the most interesting thing you learned from the book?
- Why do you think the author wrote this book?
- Would you have ended the book differently? Did it end the way you thought it would?
- Did the problem of the book's plot get solved?
- If you could change one thing in the book, what would you change?